Search Google

Custom Search

Search Results

Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Christmas Angel


Christmas is almost upon us and everywhere you go people are scurrying around trying to get ready for the celebration.  I'm still busy crocheting and just today finished another Christmas amigurumi.  This amigurumi was inspired by something that no Christmas decoration, story, poem or song would be complete without...the Angel.  In fact, angels are one of the things we associate with Christmas the most.  Rarely will you see a Christmas display without angels! 



I recently read an article about Christmas decorations, traditions and symbols, in which there were a few interesting facts about angels.  For instance, it was in the Old Testament of Christianity that angels were first described as having human bodies and wings, which is why traditional pictures of angels, or stories about angels, portray them this way.  Wings are said to be symbolic of Innocence, Virtue, Purity, Peace and Love. The perfect description of an angel!  Many believe that angels protect us, and that we all have a 'guardian angel', and further that these angels are intermediaries between us and God.







So here is my little Christmas angel.  She is a "Kokeshi" style angel.  Kokeshi dolls are handmade wooden dolls that originated in northern Japan.  The main characteristic of Kokeshi dolls is that they are simply a head and torso, without arms or legs.  These little dolls are also popular among amigurumi artists and are very easy to make due to the fact that there are no arms or legs to sew on!

  

I really love the combination of the hot pink and red together!


  

 
  







I'm having quite a hard time finding motivation these past few weeks, and I'm sure it's just the holiday blues.  Christmas last year, as well as this year have been especially difficult for me since my dad died last year.  Thankfully life right now is not requiring me to do a lot or I'd be in trouble.  So I'm trying to be good to myself and am giving myself permission to 'slack', even though I feel very guilty when I do.  I did however manage to round up some of my free pattern links so that I could share them with all of you.  There are so many beautiful crochet works and some amazingly talented crafters to be found.  I could literally spend hours going from site to site just taking it all in!   


 


  
   


  


  
 







 





I think all of these are such cute patterns, and I plan on making several of them myself.  I hope you found something that you like here, and I hope that all of you are having a happy and blessed holiday season!
Thanks for visiting!

















Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Sonya! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Hope you enjoyed your visit enough to come back often. Love all your cute crocheted items!

    And I'm sorry you are a baby gate victim also. Ha-ha. Nice to know I'm not the only one though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thise are really good. I'm strugling on crocheting a simple hat for my daughter. I had to take it apart three time already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonya, these are wondeful! You really are talented! I especially love the angel. Also, thank you for always finding time to post on my blog. I always look forward to reading your comments. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your angel and Rudolph are absolutely adorable - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the angel, I love crocheting and seeing your angel reminds me of the crobots book I saw a while back, I want to make one of those but i didnt want to spend that much on a book those things are costly :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorites