Search Google

Custom Search

Search Results

Saturday, August 8, 2009

How To Do An Invisible Decrease in Crochet


What is a decrease in crochet? Decreases are used to make a crocheted piece narrower by reducing the number of stitches you are working with. For instance when making a ball, you want the piece to gradually get wider, which can be attained by "increases" in the work. Then you want the piece to gradually get narrower, which is attained by "decreases" in the work. To do a single crochet decrease in a crocheted piece, a single crochet is done in 2 stitches together (sc2tog).

When doing Amigurumi crochet it's best to do an “invisible” decrease, rather than the traditional decrease. This will avoid the “bumps” left by the traditional decrease and make your piece much more smooth and professional looking. This tip will not only save you time, but your sanity as well at times.

Before we get started, it's important to note that when making an invisible decrease you will be working in the front loops only of your 2 stitches. (As illustrated in this diagram).


To do an invisible decrease simply follow these steps:

1. Insert your hook into the front loop only of the first stitch. Do not yarn over and pull up yarn as you would in a traditional decrease.

2. Insert your hook into the front loop only of the next stitch. You will need to turn the tip of your crochet hook downward to do this.

Then swing your crochet hook up, and under the front loop of the 2nd stitch. You now have 3 loops on your hook.



3. Yarn over and pull the yarn thru the first 2 loops on your crochet hook, leaving 2 loops on your hook.



Then yarn over again and pull yarn thru the last 2 loops on your crochet hook.


Congratulations! You have now made an invisible decrease with no 'bump' in your work.




This technique may take a little practice, but once you master it you will never go back to decreasing the traditional way.

I hope this tip makes your Amigurumi life a little easier!

Thanks for visiting.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. I will try this out. I have always struggled with the ugliness of decreasing. Thanks for sharing and for the photos to help me see exactly what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started crocheting last winter and I really love all of your helpful tips. I'm nowhere near ready for Amigurumi, but maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog, I started to crochet about a month ago, so that I could relax away from the computer.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog, as it enabled to to find your wonderful one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed - crocheting is something that I cannot seem to get a grasp of. But you've inspired me to want to maybe give it a try! :)

    Found you through MBC - we're following!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on MBD and I'm so glad I did. I really have enjoyed going through your blog. I'm now following you and can't wait to see more!

    Come by when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is brilliant! Thank you so much! I will have to try that out with my skully hats too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Favorites